Our favorite time of the year to go horseback riding is finally here. Summer’s long days, gorgeous weather and extra free time make it the perfect season to go for a ride with a trusted horse. If you’re planning to hit the trails with your horse this summer, make sure you have these essential clothing items, safety equipment and horse care products to keep you and your horse happy, healthy and comfortable all season long.
- Fly spray — If you’ve had a horse long, you know what a pain flies can be, especially during the summer when the flies get more active. Be sure to stock up on you preferred fly spray early in the season. One of our favorite fly sprays right now is UltraShield EX, which is weatherproof, sweat-resistant and lasts for 17 days, making it perfect for summer.
- Horse ice boots — There’s nothing like summer to tempt us into longer and longer rides, and let’s be honest: Multi-hour rides leave a rider sore. However, think about how sore your horse must be as well. A good pair of horse ice boots can help your horse recover faster from those long rides by easing his sore legs. Regular icing can help prevent overuse injuries that horses are prone to during the summer months.
- Boots and socks — Obviously, boots are necessary year-round, but summer is a good time to check to see if your boots are in good condition and if they still provide a comfortable fit. Additionally, make sure you have a good pair of boot socks to protect your boots from sweat. You’re bound to sweat during the summer, and the last thing you want is to ruin a pair of boots because your socks didn’t do their job.
- Riding helmet — If summer has you out riding on trails and seeing how fast your horse can go, riding helmets are absolutely essential. Don’t let vanity keep you from using your helmet. Troxel makes some really stylish riding helmets these days. Fashion is not more important than protecting your brain, so make sure you have a helmet and wear it every time.
- Comfortable jeans — Long hours of riding require comfortable clothes. If your riding jeans aren’t comfortable enough for riding on your horse for an hour or more, it’s time to consider buying a new pair or two. Look for jeans that fit nicely and offer a boot cut flare for the best riding experience.
- Appropriate shirts — Think about where and how you ride during the summer. Are you riding mostly through open fields? Wooded trails? Where you ride makes a difference for what type of shirts you should be wearing. If you’re riding through wooded areas, it’s more important to wear long-sleeve shirts, but that may not be as necessary if you’re riding through open fields. Either way, ensure that the shirts you wear are made of a breathable materials to make your rides more comfortable.
- Sunglasses — Protect your eyes while you’re out with a fashionable pair of sunglasses. You’ll want to ride a lot longer and further if you don’t have to squint all day.
- Sunscreen — If you’re prone to burning, don’t forget the sunscreen! Protect your skin while you’re outdoors and prevent premature aging by adding a layer of sunscreen before you go outside.
Did we forget one of your favorite summer riding essentials? Leave us a comment below and let us know!